Saturday, May 26, 2012

Wheat Rava Idlis

I started eating idlis only after marriage. I was too fussy about eating idlis until I got married. My mom use to go crazy to make a separate breakfast for me when ever they had idlis. My husband is so fond of idlis that I had to get used to them, when it came to my turn I understood how difficult it is to make two different breakfasts between two people. And I must say, I am lazy too to make a different one only for myself.

I think, my dislike towards idlis is because of the smell idli rava has. So, I started exploring options to use different rava and I was much happy with wheat rava. 

Here is how you make them.


1/4 cup urad dal
1 cup fine wheat rava (broken wheat, you get fine quality in india, I am not sure in USA, its ok even if it is slightly bigger in size)
2 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt as per taste

Wash and soak urad dal along with fenugreek seeds upto 6 hours or overnight. Drain water and take it into a mixie jar (wet grinder will give even more fluffy idlis) and grind to a smooth paste. 

Wash wheat rawa once and add it to the urad dal paste. Leave it outside until it ferments. It should ferment really good to get fluffy idlis. Add salt after it ferments, adding salt before might slow the process of fermenting.

Grease idli plates (I just wash them under running water), pour a ladle full of batter in each plate and set them into pressure cook. Cook upto 10 to 15 min with out whistle. Remove the heat and leave it closed for few more minutes. 

Remove the plates from the cooker and leave for a min. before you try to remove them out of the molds. Serve them with any chutney of your choice. 


I would suggest you to make in small batches as I am not sure how would they turn out if the batter stays long time in refrigerator. Since I make only for 2 people, I make it in small batches.

This is off to my own event Twist the Traditional - Idli and WWC - Whole Wheat in Breakfast event being hosted at Lite Bite by Sanjeeta.

No comments:

Post a Comment