Saturday, May 26, 2012

Nutty Mango Paala Payasam (Kheer)

On Maha Sivaraatri, I was on fasting after a long long time. I left being on fasting after having kids as I got so used to eating timely. The mere thought of fasting itself was scary to me until this sivaraatri. I was determined this time and din't even think of food on that day. Was away from food blogs as some of the pictures are so tempting that you immediately want to rush to the kitchen an reproduce the dish. I remembered one of the veteran actor who made this kheer on one of my favorite cooking shows. I honestly do not remember the measurements except for the method. So I followed the same with my own twist and came up this delicious dessert. After making this, my mom called and told me that we are not supposed to have nuts or dals on that day, so I kept it in refrigerator and enjoyed after I broke the fasting. I must say the experiment was successful and the verdict is delicious.

Here is how you make it:


1 ltr Milk
1/2 cup Sweetened Mango Pulp
3 - 4 Green cardamoms
3 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Almonds
2 tbsp Cashews
1 tbsp Raisins
1 tsp Ghee



Boil milk on low flame until it comes to half the quantity and looks thick. Keep stirring in between so that it does not burn on the bottom. In another pan heat a 1/2 tsp of ghee and lightly fry the almonds and cashews. Take them into a mixie jar. In the same pan add another 1/2 tsp ghee and add the raisins. Fry for a minute until they turn golden brown in colour. Add to the boiling milk. Powder the nuts that you took into the mixie jar and add to the boiling milk. Peel and powder the cardamoms and add to the milk. Now let it boil for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Let it cook completely. You will see that milk will thicken even more because of the nuts in it. Now add the mango pulp and mix well. Keep it in the refrigerator until you serve. It tastes yummy like custard when you serve it cold.


This is off to my event Past Is Present - JFI - Re-Run - Mango being hosted here by Me.


I would also like to send this to Any One Can Cook event being hosted at Taste of Pearl City by Umm Mymoonah.

No comments:

Post a Comment