Saturday, May 26, 2012

Simple Poori Kura (Curry for Poori)

I love pooris a lot and I look one too ;-) My kids are also a great fans of those. My learned this curry from my mom who makes it so delicious and it is great accompaniment with pooris. There are so many other curries that go good with them but this curry is simple to make and taste heavenly. My daughter only likes to have them with this curry and nothing else, not even chole. I am happy that she joined my gang hehe as my husband don't like pooris again for one reason that they are deep fried.

Here is how you make the curry:


3 medium potatoes
2 small onions
3-4 green chillies - adjust as per your taste
few curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt as per taste

For Tempering:
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds

Wash, peel, cut into cubes and boil potatoes in water by adding little turmeric and salt. Once they are cooked drain the excess water and mash the potato cubes to make a paste with little lumps here and there.

Finely chop onions and green chillies.

Heat oil in a pan add the tempering ingredients, green chillies at a time. The trick that she follows here is, the spiciness of green chillies is very well handled by dropping them along with other ingredients. They turn into black colour and will no more be spicy when you bite into them while having the curry. While mustard seeds start spluttering add curry leaves and onions. Add a tiny pinch of salt as it helps onions to cook fast and ooze out the water that is there in onions. Cook on low heat until onions turn translucent.

Now add mashed potato and little water to thin it up. Leave it on low flame for 10 more min. and then turn off  the heat. The curry should not be too pouring and also not too thick. It should be like thick sambar.

Making pooris is fairly simple yet I will post my version pretty soon.



This is my entry to my own event "Thank You Mom". Please send in your entries as the deadline is close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment