Saturday, May 26, 2012

Maggie Masala Wheat Rava Idli

I never made instant rava idlis. I once bought from store the mix that you get in a box and tried. Some how I did not like it. So, never after that I really was keen at making them. Since my event this time calls for idlis, I wanted to give it a try and see, but with a twist, which is the main idea of the event.

My son was crying for Maggie for dinner and while making it I got this idea of making wheat rava idlis with maggie masala in it. Here is the recipe:


2 carrots (I used gajar for better colour)
1 potato
1 medium onion
1 medium tomato
few green peas
2 green chillies chopped finely
Maggie masala powder
Salt as per taste

For Tempering:
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
few curry leaves

Wash, peel and chop finely carrots, potatoes, onion and tomato. Heat oil in a pan add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds and chopped green chillies at a time. When the mustard seeds start spluttering add the curry leaves and chopped vegetables, along with green peas. Sprinkle little salt on top and cook until the vegetables become slightly tender. Add maggie masala and cook for five more minutes and remove from heat.


1 1/2 cups wheat rava
Salt as per taste
1/4 to 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup curd/yogurt

Roast wheat rava in a non-stick pan until it turns slightly brown in colour. Add rava to the above cooked vegetables. Add yogurt, salt and add little by little water to make the batter similar to the one we do for idlis. Leave it aside overnight. By doing so the batter gets fermented.

Next day morning add little baking powder and little water if necessary to adjust the batter consistency. Grease the idli molds and pour a spoonful of batter in each mold. Steam cook them in pressure cooker without whistle for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve them with any chutney of your choice.


These are off to my own event Twist the Traditional - Idli.

No comments:

Post a Comment