Saturday, May 26, 2012

Brown Rice Rava Pulihora

I bought brown rice once to make an effort to have it instead of white rice. For few days I thought it was good but later on, I started disliking it, so I started using in making dosas. This time I wanted to try making it into rava and use it for upma, pulihora or idlis. So I pulsed it in mixie jar and removed the flour separately. I was left with rava with which I made this pulihora.

Here is how you make it:



1 cup Brown rice rava
2 1/2 cups Water (adjust as per the dense of the rava)
1 tsp oil

Wash rava for once under water and pour the 2 1/2 cups water, oil and cook like you cook rice. Leave it aside and let it cool for sometime.

For tempering:

2 tbsp oil
1 tsp chana dal (senagapappu)
1 tsp urad dal (minapappu)
1 tsp mustard seeds (aavalu)
5 red chillies
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 " piece of ginger (allam) (grated very finely)
3 green chillies slit length wise
few curry leaves
a dash of hing
Salt as per taste
2 lemons juice




Heat oil in a pan and the tempering ingredients including grated ginger except for green chillies and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add the green chillies and curry leaves. Fry for a minute until the dals turn brown in colour add the cooked rava to the pan and stir until everything mixes thoroughly. Do not turn off the flame as the heat will help the rava to separate nicely. Turn off heat. Add salt to the extracted lemon juice and pour over the rava. Mix once again thoroughly. Serve it hot in a plate.



This is off to Brown Rice for Dinner event being hosted by Siri of Cooking with Siri originally started by Sanjeeta of Lite Bite.

This also goes to my own event Twist the Traditional - Pulihora.

No comments:

Post a Comment