Saturday, May 26, 2012

Multigrain Oats Dosa

These days I have been experimenting a lot with oats. Ask me why, because I am concerned about hubby darling's health. He has cholesterol problem and I came to know that eating oats helps in reducing the cholesterol. I did not research much on it but knew that oats are good for health, so why not include it in the daily diet plan. I do not like to have it as a porridge, as it tastes more or less like Payasam, which I do not mind to have, but not on a regular basis. Are you wondering why am I talking about me when I said my husband has to eat oats, well, the reason is that I cannot make two breakfasts daily in the morning, one for him and one for me. So, I started making some good breakfasts using oats that suits to both our tastes. I tried different types of dosas, idlis etc., and one among them is this dosa, which is made with all good stuff. Lots of pulses and grains are used to make these dosas. So here is the recipe:



1/3 cup Urad Dal (Black Gram dal/minappappu)
2 tbsp Chana Dal (Bengal Gram dal/senagapappu)
2 tbsp Moong Dal (Green Gram dal/pesarapappu)
2 tsp Fenugreek seeds (menthulu)
1 cup Brown Rice
2 cups Oats
2 fistful of Beaten rice (Poha/atukulu)
Salt as per taste


Wash all dals together and soak them for 6 hours along with fenugreek seeds. Wash brown rice and add oats to that and soak in little water just enough to soak them.


After 6 hours soak poha in little water. Take the dals and grind into a fine paste. Take rice and oats mixture and soaked poha also and grind into a fine paste. Mix both of them together and leave it to ferment overnight.


Next day morning add salt to the batter. Heat a non-stick pan (please use a good non-stick pan as it reduces the oil usage) and pour a ladle full of batter and spread it to make a big circle. Pour a tsp of oil on the edge and let it fry until it turns into golden brown. Slowly flip it onto other side and let it fry on that side also for a sec. and remove it into a plate.


Serve it with any chutney of your choice or sambar or podis. I served them with Peanut chutney.




This is off to Mymoonah of Taste of Pearl City for her monthly event called Eat Well, Live Well with the theme being Heart Friendly Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment