Saturday, May 26, 2012

Masala Oats stuffed Idlis

I made these few days back, but did not get time to post them, as I was busy with nomulu vratalu etc., (kind of poojas). Finally I found time now to post them before the deadline for my own event Twist the Traditional - Idli.

I made Oats idlis and posted earlier. I like to find ways to cook oats in daily breakfast recipes, as they are healthy. After I made the Stuffed Idlis and posted I was blown away with the idea and the taste. So I wanted to try ways to see if I can cook with anything else and oats was my first choice.

Here is the way I made them:


Idli batter

For Masala Oats:
1 medium carrot grated
1 small onion chopped finely
2 green chillies slit length wise
1/2" piece of ginger grated finely
2/3 cups oats (ginded coarsely)
salt as per taste
little turmeric powder

For tempering:
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
few curry leaves

Heat oil in a pan add tempering ingredients. Let them fry for a second, when they start spluttering add curry leaves, grated ginger and green chillies. Let them fry for a minute and then add the chopped onion and grated carrot. Sprinkle little salt and turmeric powder, cover and cook on low flame until onion turns translucent. Add the coarse powder of oats, little more salt as required and cook on low flame. Keep stirring constantly until everything comes together. If it is too dry sprinkle little by little water and bring everything together. You should be able to make small patties out of the mixture. Remove from heat, let it cool and then make small flat patties out of the mixture.








Wash the idli plates with water and pour one ladle full of batter in each mold. Add the patties in each mold and then pour one more ladle full of batter to cover the patties. Set the plates into a pressure cooker and then cook for 10 to 15 min. without whistle.

Let the idlis cool for a minute, carefully scoop out them from the molds and drizzle little ghee on top of the idlis. Serve it with any chutney of your choice. My favorite is ground nut chutney, which you can see in most of the pictures.



This goes to my own event Twist the Traditional - Idlis event. The deadline is pretty close by so keep sending your wonderful entries...

No comments:

Post a Comment