Saturday, May 26, 2012

Soya Beans Burgers

Soya beans has become one of my favorite among the beans family and I tend to make experiments constantly with those on a regular basis. I also mentioned that I do not like the texture and taste of soya granules or soya chunks. I consider myself lucky to get introduced to this amazing bean and love to cook varieties of dishes with them.

Me and my husband made a resolution recently to cut down our weight and try to eat healthy. I cannot completely stop eating carbs, instead I can substitute with healthy carbs. That is instead of simple carbs I can have complex carbs which is good for health. Instead of having chapathis on a daily basis I thought I will experiment with different breakfasts in the night dinner time. So I came up with these bean burgers for yesterday night dinner. We had little salad and one burger and thats it. It was filling and yummy too.

Here is how you make it:




1/2 cup soya beans soaked in the morning
1/4 tsp turmeric powder

Pressure cook soya beans with turmeric powder upto 6 to 7 whistles in dal cooker or until the bean is thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat and allow it to cool. Drain away excess water and add the below given masalas.

1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp jeera powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
one small onion very finely chopped
one green chilli very finely chopped
2 sprigs of mint, chopped finely
salt as per taste
2 to 3 tbsp bread crumbs

Mix all the above into the cooked soya beans and make big round patties. You can make 4 patties comfortably. Drizzle little oil on tawa and place one patty at a time. Cook on both sides on medium flame until it turns golden brown in colour and cooked through. Carefully transfer it onto a plate.

2 Multi-grain bread slices
few leaves iceberg lettuce
tomato slices cut in circles
onion slices cut in circles
little tomato ketchup

Toast the bread slices on both sides with a drizzle of oil on the hot pan. Assemble the burger by applying ketchup on one bread slice, place the patty and then the tomato slices, onion slices and lettuce on top. It was good.

PS: One change that I might want to do next time is that I will dip the patty in egg white or any flour batter to make a coating on top and then roll in the bread crumbs. Allow it to set in the refrigerator for about 30 min. to one hour and then shallow fry it in on the pan. I dint have time so I did not follow this procedure and I found it difficult to keep the patty in shape as it was breaking off easily. Anybody trying this, try this way and let me know your experience please.






This is off to Fast Food Not Fat Food being hosted at Now Serving by dear Priya.

This is also off to MLLA #32 being hosted at Sandhya's Kitchen this month by dear Sandhya.

No comments:

Post a Comment