Saturday, May 26, 2012

Semiya Payasam (Semiya Kheer)

I love this payasam when my mom makes it. Simple and elegant the best sweet which you can have at any time. She makes it for every festival knowing that I like it. My husband never likes to have this payasam but when my mom makes it he can't resist himself, he has to dig into it. This is very simple to make and I am sure many of you already know how to make it.. yet here is how I made it:


3/4 ltr Milk
1/2 cup Semiya (I used roasted semiya)
4-5 Cardamom pods (crush them into fine powder)
1/2 cup Sugar (pls adjust as per your taste)
2 tbsp ghee
a fistful of cashews
a fistful of kis-mis (dry grapes)
a pinch of yellow food colour

1. Boil the milk until it comes to half the quantity.
2. Add semiya, and cardamom powder. If you are using the non-roasted one then fry it in little ghee and then add to the milk.
3. Simmer the stove and let it cook on low flame until the semiya is cooked and has no bite. Take care that it should not be mushy too.
4. Turn off the stove when the semiya is cooked and add sugar. Mix it gentle and not to worry it melts into the payasam. I prefer to add sugar after turning off the stove is because sometimes when you try to cook after adding sugar, there is a chance that milk will curdle. Sometimes it happens so I do not take a chance. Now heat the ghee in a pan and add the cashews, kis-mis and fry until they turn golden brown and add to the payasam. I added a little yellow food colour to give it a nice creamy colour.


Thats it... it can be served hot or cold, but I prefer it cold. So if you too prefer it that way then keep it in the refrigerator and then serve it after you meals (lunch or dinner).


This is off to Torviewtoronto for her Event Food Palette - White being hosted at her wonderful blog TorView.


This also goes to my very own Event Thank You Mom being hosted here. Thank you mom for teaching me this wonderful payasam.

No comments:

Post a Comment