Saturday, May 26, 2012

Eggplant Masala Gravy - (Vankaya Masala Kura)

I love Vankaya/Eggplant/Brinjal/Aubergine. I cook endless varieties with this wonderful vegetable. I cook atleast 3 to 4 times in a week. I can cook curries, chutneys, sambars, pulusu ... and each with variations. I bought nice round fresh brinjals from raithu market (farmers market) and yesterday night I was in the mood of cooking them as whole brinjals (gutti vankaya). I knew I wanted to make a gravy with it rather than a dry version as it pairs good with chapathi. I wanted to try something new, than the varieties that I already know. So, I went into kitchen and put my innovative cap on and started pulling out all the spices that I had in the pantry. And let me tell you, I was so amazed with the outcome. It was out of this world... I would recommend you to follow this recipe and try for sure..

Here is how I made it:

6 - 8 medium sized Vankayalu/Eggplants/Brinjals
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 medium onion sliced
2 small tomatoes
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt as per taste
2 tbsp oil
a small bunch of mint leaves (secret ingredient, do not even think to eliminate this)
few cilantro leaves to garnish

For Masala:

1 tsp chana dal
1 tsp urad dal
2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1" piece cinnamon
3 cloves
2 cardamoms
4 dry red chillies
1 1/2 tbsp dry coconut powder

Heat a pan and drizzle little oil in it. Add the ingredients for masala except for coconut powder. Fry them until they turn golden brown in colour. Take them into a mixie jar and let them cool.

In the mean time, wash and slit eggplants as "X" mark from top to bottom. Keep the stems intact. Heat oil in a wide pan and add the mint leaves and sliced onions. Fry for a minute and add eggplants, add turmeric powder and little salt, not too much just a little. This salt helps in keeping the eggplants not turn brown in colour and become bitter. Cook on low flame until the eggplants become soft and tender, cooked well.

Grind the masala powder adding the coconut powder to the fried ingredients. Make a smooth powder and add this to the cooking eggplants. Add about 1/4 cup water and taste the gravy for salt, and add accordingly. Cook on low flame until the gravy thickens, if you think the curry has to cook more and there is no enough water then add little by little. Once the eggplants are cooked and the gravy thickens turn off the heat and garnish the curry with cilantro leaves.


Serve it with hot steamed rice or with chapathis. It tastes great with both of them.




This is my entry for Dish Name starts with E being hosted by Akila of Learning to Cook and also to Healing foods - Eggplant being hosted by Spoonfuls of love at Seasoned and Dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment