Saturday, May 26, 2012

Stuffed Idlis (Masala Idlis)

I got this idea to make idlis for two reasons. I love masala dosa (who does not ??) and I wouldn't say I hate but I dislike idlis. As I said I try ways to get rid of the Idli rava as much as possible. So, I thought when you can stuff potato curry in dosa why not in idli? I decided to give it a try and see and I was so happy that I tried this version and wondered why the heck tiffin centers do not offer this as a special item in their menu. Since I tried the masala dosa version with idlis I am naming them Masala Idlis.

Method:

For Potato Masala Curry:


1/4 kg potatoes (washed, peeled and boiled in water with salt and turmeric)
little green peas
1 medium onion
2 to 3 green chillies (as per taste)
little ginger grated finely
few curry leaves
salt as per taste

For tempering:

2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp chana dal (senagapappu)
1/2 tsp urad dal (minapappu)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (aavalu)

To make Idlis:

Idli batter ( You can find the recipe here )

Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add tempering ingredients, chopped green chillies, grated ginger and curry leaves. When they turn golden brown in colour add the sliced onion. When the onion turn translucent add the boiled potatoes, green peas and sprinkle little salt on top. Beware that the potatoes are cooked in salt water. Cook on low flame until it comes together.

Make the curry into flat balls. Grease the idli molds and place a spoon of batter in each mold place the curry balls in them and then pour another spoon full of batter on top the filling and cook them without whistle in a pressure cooker for 10 to 12 min. Remove from heat, let it cook slightly and remove the idlis from each mold and serve them with any chutney of your choice.


This goes to my own event Twist the Traditional - Idli.

This is also off to Veggie/Fruit a Month event being hosted this month by Divya of Dil se.. originally started by  Priya of Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment