Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mirapakaya/Mirchi bajji

If you ask me what is your favorite deep fried snack, without second thought only one word comes out of my mouth and that is mirchi bajji. I just can't get over the craving for those. My mom is very good at making them. I still remember in my childhood these were sold at 50 paise per each and now it has gone up to 5 rupees per each. You think that stops me ?? Never..

I learned making these bajjis from my mom and then slightly improvised with my additions. I bet, once you try these, you will not like to eat outside no matter even if they offer you free of cost, believe me.

Here is the recipe:


15 Mirchi bajji mirchis (The ones that are little fat and will not be too hot like other chillies)

For stuffing:

3 tbsp sesame seeds (nuvvulu)
2 tbsp fresh grated coconut (pachi kobbari turumu)
1 small lime size ball tamarind (chintapandu)
1 tsp ajwain (vaamu)
salt as per taste

For coating:

1 cup besan/gram flour (senaga pindi)
2 tbsp rice flour (biyyam pindi)
little turmeric
1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust as per taste)
salt as per taste
1/4 tsp baking powder

Oil to deep fry

You can see how the exposed side chilli is fried nicely

Toast lightly sesame seeds in a hot pan and take them into a mixie jar. Add coconut, tamarind, ajwain, salt and grind to a smooth paste.

Slit the chillies and remove the seeds in them. Mix the flours with the rest of the ingredients and add little by little water to make a thick paste. Make sure it is not too thin and not too thick, it should be at right consistency to coat the chillies.

Stuff the chillies with the sesame paste and keep them aside. Take one chilli, dip it in the flour paste and make a nice coating. Drag the chilli on one corner of the bowl to expose one side of the chilli to the hot oil. And drop it carefully into hot oil. Deep fry them until they turn golden brown. Remove and place them in a plate covered with paper towel.

Points to note:
a. By exposing the chilli to hot oil allows the chilli to cook thoroughly and you will not feel the heat while biting into it. I bet even your non-indian friends, who can take the heat of mexican salsa also will not feel that they are biting into a chilli.

b. By placing them on a paper towel allows it to remove any excess oil from the bajjis

c. Slit open the bajji, stuff finely chopped onion, sprinkle some chaat masala on top and drizzle some lime juice on top. Have them this way, I say heaven...



This is off to Deep Fried Snacks event being hosted by Radhika at Tickling Palates

No comments:

Post a Comment