Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mysore Bajji

Its been raining lately and its very very cold here in Hyderabad. I never experienced this chillness anytime before.  My husband wearing sweater is very unlikely, which he has been doing for the past couple of days. On top of that I was very very busy which did not allow me to make any batters for idlis or dosas. I am sure even if I let it out to ferment it won't in this cold weather. So I looked into my refrigerator, found lots of curd available. The moment I saw it I knew what I wanted to make. Me and my brother are so fond of these bajjis. Hot hot bajjis early in the morning for breakfast, you can imagine how nice it is. They can also be made as snacks ofcourse.

Here is what you need to make them:



1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
1 cup curd
Salt as per taste
2 green chillies chopped very finely
1 tsp cumin seeds
Fresh coconut pieces (optional)
Oil to deep fry

The day before you make bajjis mix the flour with curd along with salt & cumin seeds and leave it aside for overnight. I would suggest you to use 3/4 cup curd first and add little by little to make the batter. It should not be pouring not even like idli batter, it should be slightly thicker than that and slightly thinner than chapathi dough. Next day morning add the green chillies, coconut pieces (you may even add finely chopped onion).

Dropping the balls:


Heat oil in a deep pan. Wet your hand and take a medium lemon sized ball of batter and carefully drop into hot oil. You will see that the ball will puff nicely and fries to perfection. Continue with the rest of the batter in the same way. Fry them in batches at the most 5 balls at one shot. Fry until they turn golden brown. Remove them and put them on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.




Serve them hot with any chutney of your choice. I served them with dalia(putnalu) chutney.


This is off to TorView for her event Food Palette Series - White.

No comments:

Post a Comment